Picture this: you’re relaxing in your favorite spot in the house on a hot afternoon, after a hard day’s work. Your best relaxing playlist is playing and you have kicked your feet up, cool drink in hand. You need one of the best ice cube trays, or maybe one of those stylish old ice cube trays.
Ice cube trays are a supreme necessity in my household. We are always looking for better, sturdier, higher quality options to update our ice cube tray action. And I have come across some remarkable products! Here you will find my recommendations and extended reviews for the best ever ice cube trays on the market. So read on, get your hands on your fav option, and chill!
Table of Contents
- Best Ice Cube Trays Review Guide
- Comparison of 11 Best Ice Cube Trays in 2021
- Top 11 Best Ice Cube Tray Reviews in 2021
- 1. Home-Complete Large Ice Molds Silicone Trays
- 2. OXO Good Grips Covered Ice Cube Tray
- 3. Joseph Joseph QuickSnap Ice Cube Tray
- 4. Onyx Stainless Steel # ICE001 Ice Cube Tray
- 5. Fox Run 5030 No Spill Ice Cube Tray
- 6. OMorc Silicone Ice Cube Tray
- 7. Vremi Large Ice Cube Trays
- 8. Glacio Ice Cube Trays Silicone Combo Mold
- 9. Domi Ice Ball Mold Flexible Silicone Sphere Ice Tray
- 10 SUMPRI Sphere Ice Mold & Big Ice Cube Trays
- 11. Chillz Ice Ball Maker Flexible Silicone Ice Tray
- Pour, Freeze, Chill, Repeat!
Best Ice Cube Trays Review Guide
Now, pay close attention! This is the compact version of my ice cube tray reviews. Read carefully to select your preferred trays (according to origin, brand, material, and mobility) and then head on to the extended review section to find out the full pros and cons for your chosen products. Enjoy!
Comparison of 11 Best Ice Cube Trays in 2021
These are the specifics of each of the ice cube trays I have reviewed. Pay close attention!
|Home Complete||Check Price ➜|
|OXO||Check Price ➜|
|Joseph Joseph||Check Price ➜|
|Onyx||Check Price ➜|
|Fox Run||Check Price ➜|
|OMorc||Check Price ➜|
|Vremi||Check Price ➜|
|Glacio||Check Price ➜|
|Chuzy Chef||Check Price ➜|
|SUMPRI||Check Price ➜|
|The Classic Kitchen||Check Price ➜|
Top 11 Best Ice Cube Tray Reviews in 2021
So those are the main specifics of each of the ice cube trays I’ve tried. Here are my actual likes and dislikes for each of them. Take notes!
Before I started experimenting with different ways to make ice and diverse products for that purpose, I thought there really wasn’t much art to it. I mean, pour some water in, stick it in freezer and forget about it, am I right? Wrong!
As one of the first ice cube trays I tried, this Home Complete product really schooled me. I could not believe ice could be so awesome! This tray pack produces, in total, 16 large ice cubes that will not dilute your drink. Smooth and beautiful end product, great ease of use!
The tray is sturdy which means there’ll be no deformation and no leaking on the floor of your freezer. The soft, BPA free silicone material provides easy release of the cubes. With two trays in one pack, you will have ice for hours of drinks!
- The design is solid
- BPA free silicone
- Two trays in one pack
- This tray is dishwasher safe
- Easy to clean
- Sometimes you might see a little silicone residue on your ice
One of the most interesting ice cube tray designs I have come across in my explorations, the OXO has loads of personality. The innovative lid gives this product lots of benefits, although might have some drawbacks. The OXO produces 14 small cubes.
The lid allows the ice to stay isolated from other substances in your freezer: it stays free of smells and impurities. Also thanks to the lid cover, this tray is one of the best stackable ice cube trays. The lid’s purpose is to release ice cubes in a controlled way— and, for the most part, it works. Although some people might have trouble with using the lid in the correct way.
- Interesting, efficient lid
- It makes a fair number of cubes
- Dishwasher safe
- Ease of use: not optimal
The Joseph Joseph ice cube tray is a gift to the most impatient cold drink lovers among us. No, seriously: it has an inbuilt mechanism that works to make the process of releasing the ice quite hassle free. It allows the user to push and snap to release the ice cube without effort. The product is durable and it also looks good! What else do you want?
- Its switch mechanism is unique
- The color is pretty rad!
- One tray makes 12 medium sized cubes
- Dishwasher safe
- Its material is resistant to sudden changes of temperature.
- Sometimes, the ice cube will break as you snap it out of place
If you like the vibe of those old ice cube trays and the feeling of durability they represent, you will probably like the Onyx 18/8. It’s an old-school looking tray made of stainless steel that will make a good sized 12 ice cubes. Ever heard of heirloom ice cube trays? You might, now!
What makes this tray durable also makes it a little finicky: the stainless steel. You have to be careful not to overfill the tray, as ice expands when it solidifies and steel isn’t a forgiving material. It may also rust if you don’t take good care of it!
- The release handle. So simple to use!
- The stainless steel is durable and resistant
- The aesthetic: so 1950’s
- You need to take care of your steel often
Looking for a small, manageable, practical ice cube tray option? Fox Run is your best choice. Made of plastic and featuring a lid, this tray guarantees no spills. It makes 14 small cubes and is pretty strong.
I really like that you can refill it without taking off the lid. Also, the lid makes it so that other food smells do not pollute the ice. Although, I have heard of other users who have had their lids crack with no warning, which isn’t surprising considering that it’s made of plastic.
- Really useful to avoid pesky spills
- Prevents smells from coming into contact with the ice
- The freezing process can speed up: cold drinks sooner!
- Lid tends to crack
If you’re looking for a cute and easy to use ice cube tray, this might be your jam! It’s made of silicone and PP material, which means you can use it safely! The white portion of the tray is stiff plastic, while the fun colored bottom is flexible silicone. You can just push the bottom upwards, and individual ice cubes will pop up; no need to bend or twist the tray, which can actually cause cracks and breaks!
This tray set of 4 comes with lids, so you don’t have to worry about your ice smelling like the salmon you kept in the freezer! You can also close the lids and stack all four of the trays conveniently. This feature is a godsend for summer and for parties!
- Pliant and expandable, yet strong.
- The design is good for stacking.
- Comes in a convenient set of four
- Separate cube compartments make it easy to release cubes individually
- Needs to be cleaned thoroughly before use in order to avoid unwanted particles in the ice
Then, representing truly deep ice cube trays, you have the Vremy Large. If you are an enthusiast of whisky on the rocks or some such beverage, you can’t not choose this product, as the 8 very large ice cubes each silicone tray produces are ideal for that.
- The ice cubes produced really do look fantastically elegant
- As they melt at a slower pace, they don’t dilute your drink
- One of the best ice cube trays for baby food
- The accessory lids are great for stacking and to avoid spilling
- Ice forms more slowly in these trays than in others
The Glacio is varied and fun: one tray produces cubes and the other spheres! Great materials, great shapes, and great durability! Each tray makes 6 individual pieces of ice. This is one of the most fun shaped ice cube trays I have ever used. It is also really easy to slide the ice out.
- Variety of shapes
- Truly non stick
- Simple, sweet design
- The ice pieces are the perfect size
- If you want perfectly round balls, you have to work it
Don’t despair! Those who are looking for the Holy Grail of the round ice sphere won’t be disappointed in the round ball ice cube trays offered by Chuzy Chefs. These are individual ice trays made of plastic that produce one large ice ball each.
In my opinion, these are perfect for the job they were designed for: they make getting perfect ice spheres so much more simple! The fact that the tray stays sealed also endears it to me: no nasty smells messing with your ice.
- Efficient and simple
- Sealed tray
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- Might be a little expensive
The Sumpri mold and trays are both solid and fun. It’s one and one: one cubic ice tray, one sphere ice mold. Both are equally stable and produce 6 ice units each. Of course, the high quality silicone is non toxic. The design used is meant to guarantee perfect, easy to extract ice balls.
The big size of the ice pieces is a great way to guarantee undiluted fun for longer periods of time. Not only for water, you can use it to make tasty desserts and popsicles, as well as baby food.
- Makes fairly large ice pieces
- It can be used to safely freeze substances other than water
- Pretty stable design with a solid base
- The sphere mold can prove difficult to fill
If making decent ice spheres is usually complicated for you, I recommend trying out the Chillz Ice ball maker mold. It is made of food-grade silicone and will turn out four regular ice spheres without taking up too much space in your freezer.
Designed to be both stable and flexible, it will not spill and it will not break. Pretty cool! Additionally, the size is not prohibitive: I can make ice spheres without dedicating three quarters of my freezer to the task.
- Compact, efficient design
- The balls are 1.78 inches each
- Keeps the freezer spill-free
- Much easier to use than other sphere ice molds!
- The top of the sphere might turn out a little flatter than expected
Pour, Freeze, Chill, Repeat!
Now that you have the tools to choose the very best ice cube tray on the market, you have to actually put it all into practice! This set of reviews will help you determine which product is better suited to your needs and the needs of your loved ones. I won’t lie to you: I love ice and, in my expert opinion, you just can’t go wrong with any of these trays! So, get moving, get your favorite tool for ice cube creation, and start using ice in everything just like me. Chill!