There are a lot of similarities between a griddle and a grill- other than their name. But there are also many differences that help us tell them apart. We do not get into ‘griddle vs grill ’ debates for nothing! It is actually very simple to tell them apart. Both of these kitchen tools have upsides and downsides. Them being good or bad changes from situation to situation.
Calling a grill a griddle or vice versa is a common mistake. We do not cook the dinner steak on the same pan which we made this morning’s scrambled eggs in, right? Griddle and grill have different surfaces that work for different foods. But which one is which? We’ll learn it in this article along with their different types, pros and cons, usage in different situations and more.
What Is a Griddle?
The word to look out for this product is ‘flat’. This is a flat kitchen tool. The large and flat surface is the main feature of a griddle which differs from a grill. It is a very handy feature. A griddle comes in a rectangular shape. The fully flat surface is made from metal, stainless steel, or cast iron.
The cooking surface is heated from underneath. This allows us to cook the food in its own juice or oil which gives the food a delicious taste. A griddle is similar to a hotplate. But while griddles are rectangular, hotplates are round. Also you can call it a large square frying pan because it allows you to cook almost anything with it.
You can make pancakes, eggs, or even rice. You can saute veggies, sear or cook steaks and burgers. Griddles don’t emit smoke. This feature makes them very suitable for indoors. There are many models of griddles on the market. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
You can find a small one to save on space or you can find a pretty large one for especially restaurant use. While most griddles are cast iron or steel, there are stainless steel and even chrome models you can get for a bigger budget. Restaurants usually utilize the stainless-steel ones.
Also Read: Best Infrared Grill for The Juiciest Steak
Types of Griddles
Griddles come in a variety of sizes and shapes. There are so many of them that I assure you can find a griddle that suits for even the rarest cooking setup.
Freestanding griddles would be a perfect choice if your back yard needs flat cooking space. Because a stand and a cart are included for it to be attached to. Some models also include casters which make the griddles easier to move and folding side tables.
They are mostly gas-powered. They include multiple burners. These burners are placed underneath the cooking surface. Blackstone Gas Griddle is a very good example to mention for this type. When we compare it to a grill, blackstone griddle vs grill style, it gives us satisfying results.
This type is a portable sort of griddle that you can take with you to a cookout or camping. It is like a hot plate. It is smaller than usual ones. You can also use them in the kitchen to make a great breakfast.
You can fit an insert griddle over a fire pit or a heating element. You can consider buying this type of griddle if you do not have the space for a freestanding one. If you own a charcoal grill or a prized gas BBQ, an insert grill would be a great addition. It quickly increases the utility of that setup.
- Easy to Clean: Griddle needs a little bit of care like every kitchen product, but it is easy and quick for the most part.
- Versatile: Griddle can cook many types of food. You can cook veggies, meat, or a whole breakfast on it.
- Outdoor and Indoor: Griddle can be used both outdoors and indoors. It is heated from below, not over an exposed flame. It also does not emit smoke like I mentioned before. So, it is safe to use indoors.
- Expensive: If you want a high-quality grill, you must accept the fact that your wallet will be lighter -quite a bit- after the purchase.
- Requires Oil: Not just any oil, you must use the right kind for griddling to have better cooked food.
What Is a Grill?
Grills have raised ridges that are designed to allow oil and fat to drip away from the food. These ridges leave beautiful grill marks on the food. It is possible to choose between a grill plate or a grill pan. This is the classic way to grill outdoors. It can be electric, gas, or goal powered.
Outdoor grilling causes a lot of smoke and heat. While this gives the food the charcoal texture and smoky flavor, it makes using an outdoor grill inside impossible. If you want a grill to use inside, you need to buy a grill pan since it can be used on a stovetop.
It cooks and sizzles while its bottom collects oils and juices. Since grills have spaces and gaps that food easily gets into, it is harder to clean them. So, be prepared for an arm day my friend!
- Easy to Use: Grills heat easily. You just fire them up, go get your stuff and it’ll be ready for throwing some fine steaks on.
- Sear Marks: The sign of beautifully cooked food. The ridges on grills allow you to have these beautiful marks on your food.
- Flavor: Like I mentioned before, grilling causes a lot of heat and smoke. But it gives the food the flavor we always crave for.
- Deep Cleaning is Painful: If you want to suffer, you can try to deep clean a grill. Besides their cleaning process before and after usage, grills should be cleaned deeply once every 6 months.
- Can’t Be Used Indoors: Unlike griddles, grills can’t be used inside because of all the heat and smoke.
Which Kind of Food Can You Make With Them?
Griddles are great for breakfast like scrambled eggs, hash browns, French toast, and pancakes. They are also great for making hot sandwiches, burgers, and buns. On the other hand, grills are better for different cuts of meat, poultry, fish, whole vegetables, or sausages. Since veggies tend to dry out, you may need to add oil first. Also, do not put small pieces on a grill because they can fall through.
Grill vs Griddle – The Differences
- Surface: Griddles are known with their flat surfaces, but grills do not have flat surfaces. They have raised ridges along the bottom.
- Temperature: Grills work best at around 204°C. The heat rises through the grates. This method leaves brown marks on the food. The classic image of an outdoor grilling! On the other hand, griddles work best at around 177°C. While it creates enough heat to fry bacon and sear meat, it is not enough to cook vegetables evenly or cook foods in sauce.
- Outdoors and Indoors: Grills cannot be used indoors because of all the heat and smoke they create. That much heat and smoke can ruin your place forever. It is very dangerous. But griddling inside is safe. Griddles are usually used indoors.
- Cooking Style: While grills scorch and sear, griddles bake the food.
Which One Is Better?
It is ultimately up to you. Both of them have upsides and downsides. They both work very well in different situations. Based on the features, you determine which one you need. After you determine, you go get that one! One of them will definitely be better for you to use depending on your cooking and eating style.
If you like small diced and runny food, you can go with griddles since they work better for those. But if you want fatty meats, you should go with grills because they cook them better. While food ingredients are sitting in oil and grease on a griddle, they drip off their fat on a grill. This makes the food on a grill healthier than the food on a griddle.
If you ask me what I am thinking about griddle vs grill steak, I will probably say grill steak is better because of the eye catching grill marks and smokey taste. But what to do if you want both of them? Do not worry. An insert griddle offers you both in one product.
We compared griddles and grills in this article. We learned what is griddle vs grill. They both have pros and cons. You can choose one of them by considering your situation. In the end, both of these products would be a good choice. Let me know if you try one of them. What are your thoughts about them? Let’s chat in the comments!